Wim van Vierssen appointed to UNU-FLORES Advisory Committee
The rector of the United Nations University has appointed KWR CEO Wim van Vierssen as member of the Advisory Committee to the director of the UNU Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES). The committee members serve in their individual capacity and have been selected in virtue of their experience, qualifications and recognized competence in the disciplines and practices related to the purposes of UNU-FLORES.
“The initiative”, says Van Vierssen, “is new and the field of Material Fluxes provides the scientific foundation for what we, in practice, will call Resource Recovery. There is a great deal of scientific expertise in this field available in Dresden which, together with the worldwide role of the United Nations University, makes the initiative one is happy to help”.
Advice and guidance
The International Advisory Committee is an organ providing advice and guidance to Prof. Dr. Reza Ardakanian, the Director of UNU-FLORES, in accordance with the general principles, policies and criteria formulated by the Council of the United Nations University to govern the activities of the University. Specifically, the Advisory Committee:
- provides advice and guidance to the Director on all aspects of the programme of UNU-FLORES and its institutional development;
- adopts the Strategic Plan, programme of work and budget of UNU-FLORES on the basis of proposals submitted to it by the Director for submission to the Council;
- considers reports from the Director on the activities of UNU-FLORES and submits to the Council through the Rector, an annual report on UNU-FLORES;
- makes such recommendations to the Council as it may deem necessary or desirable to ensure the effective functioning and continuity of UNU-FLORES;
- considers methods of financing UNU-FLORES with a view to ensuring the continuity and effectiveness of its activities.
The United Nations University Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES) was established in 2012 in Dresden, Germany. Important milestones during the establishment phase were two International Scoping Workshops which took place in November 2010 in Dresden, Germany, and in October 2011 in Maputo, Mozambique. During these workshops the research areas were worked out and entry points for joint study programmes of UNU-FLORES and the Technische Universität Dresden (TUD) were identified. In addition, opportunities and challenges of establishing a network for partnership of UNU-FLORES based in Mozambique and its specific topics in research and teaching were discussed.
Since 2012 UNU-FLORES has taken up its academic activities and initiated research projects as well as capacity development activities. To learn more, visit sections on Research and Capacity Development on the UNU-FLORES website.
© 2018 KWR Watercycle Research Institute
TagsSee all tags
Wim van Vierssen